Saturday, May 5, 2007

Freshman Board

After working on this idea for a few weeks it was brought to my attention that creating an idea of something that could not really be built because Boston is a few hours away that I should create something that was a little closer to campus. After getting many ideas, one I liked in particular was doing the same thing but having a story about a freshman and what they experience their first year here. This would allow many students coming to look at this school a better idea of campus life, of course taking outanything that would be inappropriate. From there I asked many of my friends from all different classes to write what their freshman year was like. I asked them specific questions, like: How were classes? Where did you live and what was that experience like? How were your professors? How was the food? Did you make any good friends? Did you join any clubs or any activities? I also asked them to put what ever else they thought was good that happened or they did freshman year. I got a few responses and I enjoyed what I received. I thought that this was a good start to my project. After getting all these response I came up with a design for the project as well. I wanted to create something that would stick out but at the same time not stick out too much because I wanted it to be like it was part of the school and not some project. I wanted this to help the school. I thought of ways of designing something that could withstand the weather here in Troy New York as well. After thinking I came up with an idea that I would design something very similar to a campus map box, like the one in front of public safety. This would allow for the story and pictures inside the box not to get wet and ruined from the rain and snow, but I could still change the paper from time to time. The design would stick into the ground and have plexi glass front so that people could read the story and look at pictures. Inside the story would be that of a student that is still on campus or has graduated. There would also be pictures of places on campus and things in the Troy area for interested students can see. There would be many of these around campus allowing for different stories to be on campus at the same time and giving students different ideas of freshman year.

No comments: